Step by Step Guide to Gold Foil Transfer with a Laser Printer
You already know your laser printer can do some amazing things, but did you know you can use it to create professional gold foil lettering and image transferring? And the best part is, you don’t even have to be a tech wizard to make it happen.
Gold foil lettering and print transferring are a growing trend. It’s a beautiful technique for making high-end invitations, paper flyers, business announcements, and even birthday cards. Previously, you had to have a high-end printer to create quality gold prints, but now you can do it all by yourself with just a few supplies and a little patience.
How Does Gold Foil Printing Work?
To create gold foil transfers, you can use a laminator, gold foiling machine, or a laser printer with some gold foil transfer sheets. The most important thing to know is that gold foil printing can’t be done with an inkjet printer. Laser printers use toner, which is made of plastic, that heats up and melts slightly and allows the gold foil transfer sheets to stick like glue.
Step-By-Step Guide to Gold Foil Transfer with a Laser Printer
- Laser printer (not an inkjet)
- Gold foil transfer paper (can be purchased online or at any craft supplies retailer)
- Create an image or text using image editing software on your computer. You can find free programs that have built-in fonts and art for you to use for your project.
- Print out your image using your laser printer.
- While the printed image is still wet, lay the foil transfer sheet over your image with the shiny side facing up. Don’t lay the shiny side facing the paper, or you will end up transferring the wrong side of the foil.
- Ensure our foil transfer paper covers your image completely. You only have one shot at this, so ensure you are ready with enough foil paper before the print is completed.
- Place your printed image and foil transfer paper in the transfer folder or lay another piece of paper on top that is the same size.
- Run both pages through the foiling machine or laminator.
- Once complete, let the finished image set for a minute before gently peeling off or wiping away the excess foil.
Tips for Getting a Perfect Foil Transfer
There is a little bit of a learning curve to create perfect foil transfers using your laser printer. With a bit of practice, you’ll get the hang of it and start to figure out what works best for the printer you have and the laminator you are using.
Below are some additional tips to ensure you get a perfect foil transfer:
- Before placing the foil transfer on your printed image, make sure to blow off any dust particles to prevent any black patches from showing up in your finished design.
- Never use foil transfer paper that is folded, scratched, or damaged. You will be able to see the imperfections in your final project.
- Use one single piece of foil transfer for each word or area to get a seamless design.
- Always print your images on a laser printer using only black ink.
- Use good quality, smooth paper that is designed for use in a laser printer.
- Only run your design through the laminator once. Doing it a second time will likely damage the foiling on other parts of the printed image.
- Never print your image in economy mode, be sure to change your printer settings to the highest resolution print possible.
- Make sure your toner cartridge is full and can handle your image or text.
Gold foil printing was something that used to only be reserved for high-end photographic printers. Now, you can create stylish designs using gold foil transfers and your laser printer. Give it a try and see what exciting and beautiful designs you can come up with for your business or personal use.
Find High-Quality Ink and Toner Supplies at Ink Genie
Ink Genie® is one of the leading ink and toner suppliers to businesses, government institutions, schools, and homes in the country. We have thousands of customers that we consider part of our family and always offer them our best service, satisfaction, and savings! Shop for OEM ink and toner cartridges from top brands, including Brother, Epson, HP, Canon, and more. Learn more about Ink Genie and shop our selection of name-brand ink cartridges and toners.